[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat May 3 07:40:56 MDT 2008

Hi Keith

I think what can be gleaned from all this is that one can do things
either way... probably in other ways as well... and still end up with a
nice sounding piano.  A good design is in the end measured really by how
well the designer accomplished what he/she set out to accomplish from a
quantitative perspective.  From  a qualitative.... well about the only
thing close to an objective measurement we there is the public
eye...which is a fickle beast no matter which way you work it.... but
there it is.

Cheers
RicB

    I just attended the soundboard design class 2 by Urlich Sauter. The
    question
    was posed to him as to why the one piano had a cantelever bass and
    the other
    didn't. He said On this piano he felt the sound benefited more from the
    scale being longer but the bridge needed to be placed away from the rim
    farther. It was not an excessive cantelever and very well built. He
    obviously listened to it both ways and he was of the opinion the
    cantelever
    improved the overall sound. You guys who insist that in all
    instances, no
    cantilever is better than some, you must be missing something.
    Keith Roberts