[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat May 3 21:40:44 MDT 2008

John,

>. . . If anyone can tell me the advantage of a double German eye
>over a single, I'd like to know.

The double eye is certainly more trouble to make, but we have found
that the additional friction-contact with the hitch pin, when at
pitch, makes the double looped version less likely to tighten up on
the pin. The jig we use for making them allows us to make the eyes
with a tighter 'first bend', which seems to prevent the coils from
tightening on the pin, allowing it to be easily removed from the
hitch pin once the tension is let down. We were unable to achieve
this with a single looped eye. So we continue to use double looped
eyes for our instruments.

Below is a sample of our eyes.

Ron O.

--