[CAUT] Steinway school info

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon May 5 14:48:57 MDT 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Alan McCoy wrote:

> Another consideration is #8 wherein any rebuilding will be done at
> the S&S
> restoration center in NY. This effectively removes any decision-
> making about
> rebuilding from you, other than choosing which piano is up for
> rebuilding.

Hi Alan,
	I don't read that (above) in #8. I think it just says that if you
want a Steinway piano you currently own to count toward the 90% of
inventory, it has to pass muster after being inspected by a Steinway
rep, meaning it can't below standard. Maybe something different was
said in the presentation. I do like the enormous emphasis on
maintaining the pianos in top condition. That is something a few of us
lobbied them about, and I think it makes good sense for everyone
involved. Requiring that their techs get Steinway training is a good
angle as well.
	Personally, I am happier not being an all-Steinway school (though
we'd be fairly close to qualifying if only grands counted), but I can
see definite pluses along with the minuses. The money angle is the big
stumbling block for most. If they applied the criteria only to grands,
I think they'd have a lot more support from techs.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu