[CAUT] Yarmulka u1 bass strings constantly breaking

Ben Treuhaft blt at igc.org
Sun May 18 18:18:20 MDT 2008

dear Collegiate and Universitarianistic tuners, here at New York University
we have about 50 newish u1s, none over 10 yrs old and most younger than 5.
 They break bass stgs. Yamaha claims that happens with every other make of
upright in a music school setting.  I do not believe them.  Most of our u1s
have over 1/2 dozen missing or replaced bass strings (treble never  break).
 Questions:
1) has anyone else come across this problem on U1s?  Is it truly a universal
university problem for other makes e.g. Steinway K?
2) is there a fix, e.g. get Mapes to produce a set of lower-tension strings,
and replace them all?  What would one say to Mapes?    thanks,    Ben
   or failing all that, how about a recommendation of an affordable upright
that doesn¹t break all the bass strings
Benjamin Treuhaft
Underwater Piano Shop
39 E. 7th St. #3