[CAUT] Some like it Hot/Some like it Cold!

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon May 19 18:07:21 MDT 2008

A conical Crescendo punching will focus the tone.

Being a firmer punching there is less compression on a hard blow
so the dip (after touch) is more even between pp and ff.

The straight-sided Crescendo punchings do not have the same tonal focus
effect but are an improvement over the standard woven punchings.

At the KC Convention I tested these with a few people at hand. The
straight-sided punchings improved the tone over the woven punchings
and the conical-sided punchings were a tonal improvement over the
straight-sided ones. The conical-shape or tapered sides do make a difference.

If you turn it upside down the effect is negated. I've displayed this
to customer's amazement.

Recently, I received a fairly new studio upright in my shop. I
noticed that there
were voicing issues. When I disassembled it, there were woven
conical/tapered f/r punchings. I knew what some of the voicing
problem was... some punchings were
inverted. I placed all the punchings with the narrow side up, problem solved.

They are too firm for some pianos causing noticeable impact sound.
On those pianos the pear green punchings work well.

As for the 3/4" punchings, they do not offer as much support and can allow
the key to rock side to side more easily than the wider ones. I would use these
on a spinet or something else of no consequence.
--

Regards,

Jon Page