[CAUT] caut Digest, Vol 1110, Issue 48

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu May 22 13:59:39 MDT 2008

Hi Richard,

I think the key-dip on a D should be more like .390".

Try that.

Paul

"Richard Adkins" <RADKINS at coe.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
05/22/2008 02:52 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

<caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] caut Digest, Vol 1110, Issue 48

I have a new bag of PU-12W Wurzen "Tapered" Front Rail Punchings I got
from Piano Tech. I plan
to try them on a S&S D this summer. You can tell the correct orientation,
as some thoughtful
person has put a nice black line on the side that goes bottom down. But it
is easy to see on the
bench, which is which.

On this S&S D w/.400" key dip, the jack touches the felt in the jack (fly)
window. I'll be checking the entire
action geometry. Perhaps it could use a shallower dip, but I don't want to
compromise there if I don't have
to. This is a 1940 vintage. Perhaps key dip was shallower?

String height:

Note 62 is post on at 7 5/8"

        36 is 7 3/4 (natural crown?)...I've seen the string height drop
dramatically here in winter!

        1-20 are about 8" (from the middle of the string diameter)

These problems have been discussed this past year, giving me the urge to
revisit this action
and try to improve it. I did raise up the rear of the stack some a few
years ago, but maybe
not enough. The distance from the shank to rest felt was way, way to
large.

Thanks to the kind souls on this list for publishing Mike Mohr's
forefinishing notes.
Anyhow, I need to do some more head scratchin'....take a lot of
measurements again.

I'm hoping the Wurzen felts will help too!

Richard Adkins
Coe College