[CAUT] strikeweight

Albert Picknell agghubii at yahoo.ca
Fri May 23 15:59:11 MDT 2008

Hi Ken

  Here's the data, in the attached Excel file.  I hope the format is workable for you.

  Thanks for taking this on.
  Albert

Ken Zahringer <ZahringerK at missouri.edu> wrote:
  Hey, Albert & List,

Allow me to lend my expertise.  Your data collection procedure was quite good.  If you¡¦re going to re-weigh the shanks, though, we can really make this slick.  First, just replace the dead weight data with shank strike weight.  Then, rather than simply have an ordinal ranking of pitch, group shanks together that have essentially the same pitch.  You can use any increment you want, half-step, quarter-step, whatever, then number the groups 1-5, 1-10, etc.  Finally, instead of having two separate groups for full-size vs thinned, add another column and give each shank a ¡§0¡¨ if it¡¦s full size and a ¡§1¡¨ if it¡¦s thinned.  Or, for Renner shanks it could be 0, 1, 2 since they have two degrees of thinning.  Post that to the list and I¡¦ll do a quick regression analysis and tell everybody what I find.  If anyone else wants to do some measuring, feel free and send me the data.  More data is always better.  Also, tell me what make of shank you have; that may make some kind of
 difference if they use different wood.  Just to make sure we¡¦re all on the same page, here¡¦s the data scheme:

Shank Profile (thinned or not)
Pitch (grouped as seems natural to you)
Shank Strike Weight (in grams, to the nearest tenth)
Flange Center Friction (in grams, to the nearest tenth)

Put that all in an Excel file or a tab-delimited text file and email it.  I¡¦ll probably be off this list by the end of the summer, but my email here, ZahringerK at missouri.edu, will be active for several years.  If anyone sends data after the end of July, you should send it to me as well as the list.  I¡¦ll make sure my results are posted to the CAUT list even if I¡¦m not a regular subscriber.

Regards,
Ken Zahringer