[CAUT] Rodentia

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Wed May 28 20:34:28 MDT 2008

Ya know,
this hole subject reminds me of my first month at Emil Fries.  The director came to me one day and asked "Shawn sense you have previous tuning and repair experience, I'm wondering if you have cleaned a piano?"  I told him that I had not and we preceded to find a donated or trade in piano for me to clean.  We had just got this Marshall and Windal vertical in from some where and it needed a lot of work.  Don told me to try to salvage the ivories, disassemble the piano, remove the keys and call him.  I did just that.  The problems started when I removed the front panel, I thought man this thing stinks!  I put on my rubber gloves and touched the keys and boy was it full!  Dog food, bird seed, cotton and more!  I went to Don, and told him this piano was not worth cleaning.  He insisted that I get the job started and he would check on me in a while.  The picture you see is after probably about 90 percent of the unsavory stuff was removed.  I found no fewer than 6 mice in this piano.  All departed thank god!  Needless to say we junked the piano.  I have had a strong dislike for the brand sense that day.
Shawn