[CAUT] tuning paradigm (was P12ths)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 18 11:56:23 MDT 2008

Hi Richard

A very well written post with a point made several times through the
years.  I myself have advocated using interval types and their
corresponding coincident partials as a basis for describing what one is
talking about when discussing tuning issues.

For example... its rather useless to tell someone I like my octaves a
bit wide. What exactly does that say ? One persons wide is anothers
narrow.  If on the other hand you say I like to set my octaves in such
and such a range somewhere between a pure 6:3 and a pure 4:2 then we
have a basis for which to understand exactly what the you are describing.

Cheers
RicB