[CAUT] Schulze article is no proof of prior art of Stopper temperament. Was: The Origins of P12ths tuning.

Bernhard Stopper b98tu at t-online.de
Wed Oct 22 09:30:34 MDT 2008

Am 21.10.2008 um 15:48 schrieb Richard Brekne:

> Hi Folks
>
> Ok... as promised I hunted down the article that I have said all
> along contains the information that prompted me to create the
> P-12ths tuning on Tunelab in 2000 along with all subsequent
> discussion on both lists prior to Bernhard Stoppers appearance on
> these lists some years later. As it turns out, this article PTG
> Journal May 1982 by Gary Shulze RTT, six years before Stoppers
> publication,  contains the entire basis for the P12th tuning along
> with the mathematical definition for the a Perfect 12ths stretch.
>
> I quote along the accompanying footnote from the article by Shulze
> and a comparison quote from Stoppers own publication defining the
> comma he claims as his.
>
>   "The basis of equal temperament theory is the attempt to make all
>   fifths as beatless as possible, while preserving the purity of the
>   octave. With the modern piano in equal temperament, the beat rate of
>   the fifth does not double with each octave as theory would dictate,
>   but remains reasonably pure. In fact, the twetfth and nineteenth are
>   no more tempered then are the octave and fifteenth. The "stretch"
>   necessitated by inharmonicity seems quite consistent with the
>   stretch inherent to the tuning of these intervals pure ---
> footnote # 2"
>
> That footnote states the following
>
>   "This stretch, disregarding inharmonicity, is exactly equal (in
>   cents) to: Log (3/(2^(19/12)) * 1200 / Log 2 for  the perfect 12th
>   and Log (6/(2^31/12))*1200/ Log 2 for the perfect ninteenth.
>
> Stoppers quote defining the comma he claims as his from his
> publication in 1988,  six years after the Shulze article
>
>       "now rewriting the pythagorean comma as 3^12/2^19 yields for the
>   Stopper comma (sc) (3^12/2^19)^(1/19) or  3^(12/19)/2"
>
> The likenesses in thinking are obvious.

The formulas Ric states describing the "birth" of 19th root of three
temperament, and the "likeness" with my formulas is just a
mathematical misinterpretation of him.

The formula of Schulze does simply express the offset of a pure
twelfth 3/1 ratio from standard equal temperament in cent.
The occurence of the number 19 (what  obviously seems to be an
indicator for Ric for the presence 19th root) describes just the 19th
step in standard 12th root of two ET in Schulzes formula.

For those who are in doubt about about the maths, Schulzes intention
becomes exactly clear in an other statement he makes in the same
article (which Ric does not post here), where he wants the "the
octaves as pure as possible", together with the twelfths and the
ninteenths. That is in fact the complete opposite of my intention of
adding stretch to pure octaves (in case of present inharmonicity we
can speak of "sweet spotted" pure octaves) additionally stretched by
adding the nineteenth of the pythagorean comma (the Stopper comma).

So the goal of Schulze is just to align as much as possible
coincidents ( including the 3/1 third partial matched to the first
partial twelfth) together, including the octave and the nineteenth.
That may work only for a small range of the scale with an present
amount of appropriate inharmonicity, but has nothing to do with
defining a new temperament.

The intention of Stopper temperament is to split the pythagorean comma
completely on the octaves side, to keep the duodecimes pure. In case
of present inharmonicity, this can simply be kept by taking sweet
spotted octaves and sweet spotted duodecimes.

Conclusion is: No prior art of Stopper temperament intention was
presented in this article.

Best regards,

Bernhard Stopper