[CAUT] Shulze tuning research

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 09:34:26 MDT 2008

Richard writes:

<<  The question is this:  Does tuning

pure 12ths over-stretch the thirds especially as they are expressed

in 10ths and 17ths. <<

     I, for one, think it does. The harmony sounds harsh to me.

>> I would like to see a convention

class/demonstration with 2 or three pianos (same model) tuned with

the various tuning stretches, one with pure 4:2 octave, one with the

pure 12ths, one that perhaps splits the difference, i.e, slightly

wide 4ths/slightly narrow 5ths which is sort of a traditional ideal.

My hypothesis is that the class participants would divide up fairly

equally among the various choices.   >>

    Perhaps, but I wonder why it matters.  I submit that after all the tuning
on these pianos, a fourth piano tuned in a Coleman 11 tuning, straight out of
a machine, (any of them), will blow these pianos off the stage.
ET can be dressed up any way possible, but in direct A-B comparisons, I have
yet to see it remotely competitive with a mild WT for the majority of li
steners.  All the refinement in the world doesn't change the ear-deadening effect of
having all intervals the same.
     I have a standing offer to anyone that suggests ET is the preferred
tuning:  give it your best shot and put it alongside Jim Coleman's temperament for
an audience to listen to and vote.  The angels will dance on the pin, but the
difference is profound.

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All
of your favorites, no registration required and great graphics – check it out!
http://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001)</HTML>