[CAUT] lubing, etc (Was Re: Renner back action)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Sep 4 10:03:49 MDT 2008

	Just a note to supplement all this discussion about the correct
alignment of the underlevers: regardless of what the set up is, there
will be rubbing between the end felt and the underlever, whether or
not you get it to the spot that minimizes it. So part of my routine is
to prepare surfaces and lube. Prepare surfaces means light sanding of
the underlevers to remove any rough surfaces or sharp edges (feel
first to see if this is necessary); and I like to brush (to remove
dust and debris) and then iron the key end felts, to present as smooth
a surface as possible. Then I apply McLube to the underlevers, and
powdered teflon to the end felts. This takes very little time to do,
and really helps with longevity of the end felts (and the regulation).
Probably has a wee bit of effect on the feel of the action as well,
though pretty negligible.
	I think that anywhere there is a rubbing effect in the action (aside
from back check <G>), surface preparation and lubrication are a good
idea, especially for high use instruments (= all caut instruments).
Appropriate prep and lubrication, of course.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu