[CAUT] Reasonable job descriptions

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Sun Sep 7 10:12:54 MDT 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Ralph Onesti wrote:

> I was hoping you could help Vincent write a reasonable job
> description for the new tech as you are in the trenches and who
> knows where they are.

I think this would be a great exercise for this group, with the
results being added to the Guidelines for Institutional Maintenance.
Or better yet,  the results could lead to a CAUT brochure, "Hiring
the Piano Technician-A Resource for Colleges, Universities, and other
Educational Institutions."

I don't think that there is a one-size-fits-all description.  For
example, the description for a part-time contract position  would be
different than for a full-time position in a large, land-grant type
university which would be different than for a full-time position in
a conservatory situation.  The many descriptions would let the
institution decide which description was appropriate.  Salary ranges
should be included as well as descriptions of the type of person that
would apply (see below).

Having this kind of information available would accomplish several
things.  First, although the various descriptions may not be all that
different, expectations should be different, including the pay scale
and type of applicant that the institution could realistically
expect.  Secondly, it would leave it up to the institution to
determine where it falls in the various types and pay scales.
Expectations would match the self-image of the institution.  Thirdly
it would inform institutions what the pay range should be.  I don't
think many people outside our group know what full-time technicians
working in the private sector can make.  Doing the math for those
involved in hiring would be helpful.  Finally, a beginning technician
would be less demanding in salary and benefits, than an experienced
RPT who has been around the block and wants to get paid
appropriately.  Institutions need to know that all technicians are
not created equal.

Just to get some discussion going, here are some off-the-top-of-my-
head ideas about types of technicians that could be matched to
various descriptions.

Type of technician
I.  Technician, Level I:  $12,500 to $25,000, working part time, less
than one year experience, tunes fewer than 5 pianos per week
II. Technician, Level II:  $35,000 to $50,000, working full time,
three to five years experience, tunes 15 to 25 pianos per week
III. Technician, Level III:  $40,000 to $70,000, full time private or
university, 5 to 10 years experience, tunes 5 to 15 pianos per week,
has regulated and voiced 10 to 20 pianos over several years,
regularly schedules full or partial action regulation
IV. Technician, Level IV:  $50,000 to $200,000, full time private or
university/conservatory, 10 to 15 years experience, tunes 5 to 10
pianos per week, has regulated and voiced pianos in concert venues,
is familiar with restringing, new parts installation, action
geometry, hammer selection, key weight, piano touch, and dealing with
the concert artist concerns.

I would add that I think it's time for CAUT to develop an alternative
to the Guidelines document.   It has been helpful, especially to
technicians.  But it is, IMHO, too long for most administrators to
deal with, and, also IMHO,  the document's underlying message is too
self-serving.  A brochure is a better alternative.

Richard West, retired but still working