[CAUT] uprights

wbis290 at aol.com wbis290 at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 06:35:38 MDT 2008

Hi Jeff,

I have had an interesting time reading all the responses of your questions about uprights. There have been many interesting points of view on which piano is best. For what it's worth, I'll give my two cents worth. First of all, I think that there are many factors that need to be considered. The one thing that I will say is that I think that the condition of the building as far as temperature and humidity need to be factored in. One of the uninversites that I tune for has a building that has temperature changes of about ten degrees which is tolerable. But, the same building will have humidity changes that range from 19% to as high as 85%. It's a real killer for pianos. Our Steinway "B" which is only 25 years old has soundboard problems because of this. As a matter of fact all of the piano in the building have some sort of problems directly related to the humidity proble. Every piano from our Bechstein EN to the Bostons, to the Hamiltons, to the Petrof, and even the Steinways all are affected?by some sort of structural problem. The only piano that is not affected is a Yamaha P2C that is thirty one years old and has been?used in classroms, teaching studios, and practice rooms. That should say enough. We have?been able to replace eleven pianos?with Yamaha U1s and could not be happier.?The other university I tune for had used Steinways in their practice?rooms and are now using Yamahas which are holding up?better than the?Steinways. Once again, this building does have heating and humidity problems?but not as bad as the other university. Another university that I tuned for has Bostons and once again, the piano that did hold up the best was an old Yamaha. I am? not stuck on any one brand of piano as many are, I just thought I would give you my experiences with pianos I have tuned for universities for my 38 years of experience.

Hope thinigs go well for you.

Bill Balmer,RPT
Ohio Northern University and the University of Findlay