[CAUT] Reasonable job descriptions

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Sep 8 13:19:41 MDT 2008

Paul,

I'm posting this to you privately because I don't want it in the "public". I'm currently at $48K but the benefits package is incredible. They say it's worth about another 20K. still it's not enough for me to live on due to some stupid debt I have. Essentially, I have to earn about 1K a month more to maintain my life style (which is modest!) and I still don't have enough time to do much in the way of personal/family time.

Knowing that, if I were making about 20K more it would be about where I should be, IMO. We all would like to make more, but this is where I am...

Now, in your last paragraph you state that we should stand together. Therein is the problem, as I see it. There are so many technicians (hacks, most) that would jump in here in a heartbeat that I don't know how we can try to push our way around in the least bit! Our profession seems to be one of about 30% incompetent hacks, about 20% top notch and everyone else somewhere in the middle. But here is the problem; No one (administration) can tell the difference!! At least, not with the middle of the road techs. A colleague of mine goes in an toons the piano and when he
S through it's not top notch. But no one cares! Even some of the best pianists seem to let things go. It's not too bad in that I think it would clearly pass the RPT test (that says something, doesn't it?) but it's a pretty close SAT tuning with some not too wild but out unisons! And he's a CTE!!

My heart sinks when I see what people think are good tunings. It makes me wonder why I even care sometimes.

Soooo.... What does this have to with the price of rice in China?? I just wonder how we can stick together when only about 1 in 5 are PTG members, and about half of them are green or not soing high level work! What is the key to making a better living here?

I dunno. Sometimes I get frustrated and seeing a post like yours get's me hoping and wishing for more, but then my pragmatic evil side kicks in and I write rants like this.

Best.
Jim