[CAUT] False beats Steinway B

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:41:17 MDT 2008

I would expect that problem from pianos with less quality and older age, but that said,  I think the wire does make a difference especially as it fatigues which does not apply with new pianos.  I believe that in the 1970-1980 era the asian instruments were using piano wire with a higher iron content...at least that is what I heard through the grapevine...and tht was one reason those particular pianos had more initial snap.  I restrung several after only 10 or so years of use due to false beat and chaotic sound (brash sound) that the new Mapes or German wire seemed to resolve.  And, yes the bridge pins were checked prior to restringing as well as voicing considerations.  This is one of those differential diagnosis situtations where you rule out the most common culprits before you operate and not just assume.  Good luck.  I look forward to reading about your solution.

Henry Nicolaides