[CAUT] Wurlitzer Iron Pinblock - Anyone ever restring one of these things?

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 13 13:34:29 MDT 2008

Fred (and listserve members)~

Thanks for your excellent thoughts and suggestions. I too, am wondering how
they strung these at the factory. It would be great to hear from anyone who
knows.

I think there might also be some confusion here because Wurlitzer apparently
used two different configurations for these iron pinblocks. The one I am
working on uses a machine screw with a relatively fine thread to hold the
tuning pin in from the back (or underside on a grand), but you brought up a
good point: there was also a design that used wedges, and a tuning pin that
was split at the bottom to accept the wedge, which wedge could then be
pounded in further to tighten the pin (which design I have also seen in my
travels, but unfortunately don't have a picture of.)

Here again is the picture of the system I have, in case you didn't see it
(this, incidentally, is taken from Nalder's book, The Modern Piano. The
photo, I'm pretty sure, is in the public domain.)

(See photo link below if you are reading this from the archives)

As you can see, it is impossible to remove the pins from the front (in an
upright) or top (in a grand) of the plate web. The smaller diameter part of
the hole, through which the pin emerges out the face of the plate web, is
the same diameter as the shank of the tuning pin: it fits the pin snugly
like a new tuning pin bushing (One distinct advantage: these pins really do
not flagpole, at all! ). There is essentially no clearance between the pin
and the hole, and, of course, the wedge or splayed part of the pin will not
pass through this hole: that would defeat the purpose of the design. So the
pins must be removed or inserted from the rear. But this precludes winding
the coil on the pin in the normal fashion, with the pin out of the plate.
The pin will not pass through the hole with the coil installed, because the
hole is too small. So I see no alternative except to somehow string the
piano with the pins installed.

The alternatives seem to be, from the suggestions I have received from
members of the listserve, to either wind the coil on a dummy pin and then
transfer it to the pin in the piano, or to simply wind the coil on the
preinstalled pins themselves. Clarence Zeches had an excellent suggestion
about loosening the wedging screw somewhat to wind the coil, then tightening
the screw afterward, as the pins are pretty tight with the screws snugged
up; loosening the screws before giving the pin its three turns would lessen
the possibility of breaking a pin, which would then require a visit to a
machinist, who hopefully could make a new pin... (maybe I should check the
feasibility of this before attempting the restringing...)

Because the holding screws have a fairly fine thread, they take some time to
screw in or out. It seems advantageous not to have to remove the pins or
screws in the first place, but if the pins have been sprayed gold (as in
someone regilding the plate with the pins and strings installed, as they did
the one I am working on) then I may end up removing all the pins and
cleaning or polishing them. In light of that, I am greatly appreciative of
Norman Cantrell's suggestions about cleaning the pins and regilding the
plate with the pins installed, using the Travis tuning pin cleaner system,
and heat shrink tubing to mask the pins while regilding the plate.
(Especially when I consider having to remove and install them all again...)

Wolfenden, in The Art of Pianoforte Construction, in the chapter on "tuning
and tuning appliances", comments that one of the problems encountered was
the seizing of the pin due to rusting of the pin to the iron plate, under
very humid conditions. I think Wurltizer attempted to circumvent this to a
degree by plating the pins, and also by applying some kind of graphite
grease to the pin before insertion. It seems to have worked - at least, I
haven't found any pins on this piano that have rusted, or are seized.

If all the parts hold up (if I don't break any pins or strip any screws) I
think it will turn out well. The design seems to work well, and it's nice to
be able to adjust the tuning pin torque so easily (just put a torque wrench
on the pin and tighten or loosen the screw accordingly). It seems to be
considerably easier to perform the screw adjustments in the grand, where you
just have to have access to the action compartment (removing the action is
really necessary, however, to access the screws on the underside of the
plate). With an upright, it seems it would be more tedious, having to go
around to the back of the piano to turn the screws.The main liabilities seem
to be the tuning pins and the holding screws, for which there are no
off-the-shelf replacements today (you may be very soon seeing a search
inquiry on this listserve for salvage parts, however ;-).   )

Barring the discovery of any additional restringing "shortcuts", or factory
tricks, I think I am resigned that it may just take considerably longer than
a normal restringing.

Thanks so much for all your advice and tips so far. If anyone has any
additional ideas or tips, they will be most appreciated.

Kendall Ross Bean

PianoFinders
www.pianofinders.com <http://www.pianofinders.com/>
e-mail: kenbean at pianofinders.com
phone: (925) 676-3355

Connecting Pianos and People

Fred Sturm wrote:

I don't believe these pins will back out. The wedge in the bottom
makes them a bit thicker at the bottom than the top. So I would just
loosen enough to remove coils, clean up, set all the beckets in line
with one another, and restring transferring coils to the existing pins.
I have often puzzled about how they strung these in the factory
(something to think about while tuning the one in my client base), and
it has seemed to me that it would be pretty hard to come up with a way
that didn't start by the pins installed in the web, plate reversed
(something supporting the tops of the pins), then wedges pounded in,
then plate turned upright and installed in the piano, then strings
installed in some fashion (coiled in place, or coils transferred to
them). I can't imagine a way of getting those wedges in efficiently
with the plate in. I guess some form of long-necked plier to squeeze
them in, maybe. But the idea of making a coil on the pin, putting it
in the hole, and then adding the wedge, well, it just doesn't compute
for me. I wish there was an old-timer around to ask. I've long been
curious.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico