[CAUT] Wurlitzer Iron Pinblock - Anyone ever restring one of these things?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Sep 14 10:44:26 MDT 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 8:31 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Patent #713336 to Hans G Osterberg, of the Wegman piano company,
> shows a picture of the Wegman system. The pin wedges into a shaped
> hole in the plate, with no other parts. It's not remotely like what
> Wurlitzer used. APSCO, I think it was, used to sell a Wegman "fix"
> for a conventional loose tuning pin. You pulled the pin, drilled out
> a BIG hole, and drove this "fix" in. I had always meant to buy a
> couple of these things to keep as a curiosity, but somehow never did.
>
> Ron N

Hi Ron,
	Thanks for the reference. That is, indeed, yet another animal. Looks
like it might be the source of that old wives' tale (concerning hammer
technique for tuning) about lifting the pin in its elongated slot, and
then setting it. I wonder how many schemes there were to avoid the
wooden pinblock. The Mason screw-stringer is one, and Broadwood had
one that I have seen described but without diagram.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu