[CAUT] building fences

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 08:52:10 MDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> For most of the year, I've been eyeballing Delta's T-2 table saw fence. I'd
> been fighting that old piece of junk Craftsman fence for near 30 years, and
> had finally had enough. So I went to Lowe's and bought one yesterday for
> $150. Spent this afternoon installing it, and I feel better already. It's
> not a Biesemeyer, but for the cost, it's a huge step up from the rinky
> original. So far, I'm favorably impressed.
>
> Ron N

I got very lucky about 4 years ago. The local woodworking tool store had an
odd duck on their sales floor, a General contractor saw w/left tilt, cast
iron table and extensions, 10' belt drive w/2hp motor.  Cast iron trunions,
cast adjustment wheels, the entire saw is very heavily built, like an old
upright! They considered it an odd duck because they carry Delta and they
didn't make a left tilt at the time, everyone liked the saw except for the
left tilt. I didn't have a lot of experience with using the tilt on a saw so
I didn't have to unlearn anything.
Best of all it had a Biesmeyer style fence, they explained to me that
General is a Canadian firm that is contracted to make the fences for
Biesmeyer and that mine was a Biesmeyer in all but the name on it.

My saw was also completely built in North America.

Best of all, at the time it was only $650!

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com