[CAUT] Wurlitzer Iron Pinblock - Anyone ever restring one of these things?

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 15 14:03:02 MDT 2008

Fred~

Unfortunately the plate itself is remarkably devoid of any patent numbers,
or other of the expected black lettering for this period. The piano looks to
be a 1925, as the serial # is in the 75,000 's.

It does however have "Wurlitzer, Reg. U.S. Pat Office, U.S.A," cast in the
plate in the usual place you see the brand, in the treble aliquot section,
(See photo) (although this piano has front duplex, but not rear aliquots.) I
would be really surprised if there wasn't a patent for this tuning system
somewhere in the patent archives, but I'm not sure where I would start
looking or what search words to enter. Maybe you would know.

On pianotech, Scott Jackson e-mailed me from Australia and said the same
system was used by the Beale Piano Company of Sydney, and mentioned the name
Vader Tuning System. I don't know if that might help or not in a search.

Here is a photo of the pin and tightening screw, removed from the piano.
(See photo)

Some previous tuner/technician had written "Apollo" in pencil on the
keyframe and action, next to the serial #.

Just looks, to the casual eye, like a normal piano,

until you pull the action and look underneath the plate, where the pinblock
normally should be. (See photo): Why there is a plate flange is beyond me. I
don't think anyone in their right mind would try and install a pinblock
under an inch thick plate web.

The giveaway, without looking underneath, is that there are neither tuning
pin bushings nor clearance between the pins and the plate. (Nor are there
any plate to pinblock screws.) I knew it looked different, somehow, when I
first saw it...

~Kendall

  _____