[CAUT] Which side to yank the butterfly spring?

Zeno Wood zeno.wood at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 10:03:35 MDT 2008

I don't think the coil ends up spread out, it's just tilted somewhat, so
there's no side-to-side.  I do this by pulling the spring out to the side
then putting it back.  If it doesn't work I might yank it out the other
side, although towards the bass is more convenient.  Whatever works.  But if
you yank it sideways too much, it interferes with the function somewhat, and
the spring might bulge toward the spoon, causing another click.

As long as we're on the subject of weird spring-related noises:

1. About 9-10 years ago, the bottom part of the Steinway spring (that
inserts into that hole in the bottom of the jack) was a little too long past
that bend, so the end would bottom out and click.  Solution was to clip a
tiny bit off the end so it wouldn't reach.  (What do you call that hole?)

2. Same time-frame: the angle of the bend where it goes into that same hole
in the bottom of the jack was a little too shallow, so the jack wouldn't
come all the way back to where the button contacts the spoon.  (The spring
was holding the jack in position instead of the button/spoon)  This would
click a little bit, and it also made regulation impossible.  Solution was to
slip out the end and increase the angle just a tad.

Regards,
Zeno Wood