[CAUT] Bluthner Patent Action

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Sep 19 13:30:55 MDT 2008

In reference to the instructions given on the following website:
http://www.bluthner.co.uk/bluthner/setup.html

This set of instructions is found in several places around the web and
no doubt has just been copied from one place to the other without anyone
actually taking a solid look at what is actually written here. Several
key errors are apparent quickly at casual observations.  For the
first... the opening line that the numbers on the diagram pointing to
different parts related to the numbered points of regulation below is
faulty.  Several points on the diagram have nothing in common with the
corresponding points in the regulation instructions. Take number 6 for
example.  Tell me that the hammer rest rail has something to do with the
directions for setting drop !.   Points 8 and 9 on the list have nothing
to do with the diagram either. Point 5 on the list is about checks and 5
on the diagram points to the hammer shank. Point 4 describing something
refered to as "Touch" is so vague its absurd really.  It ends up this is
actually a reference to key dip in a sense not usually associated with
the Erard roller action.

Clearly the picture was taken at from action parts illustration
somewhere and plasked together with a hokey set of very basic instructs
on how to regulate the Bluthner. Seems to me we could do better then
this.  For example... no where is part number 8 described anywhere...
how much tension should be on the spring etc. Nor is the exact function
of the leather button on the coiled spring (illust # 10).  It should be
made clear to folks that the only reason why Checks should be done
before setting drop with the rep-spring (illust # 9) is to assure the
hammer tail doesn't check the hammer and confuse the regulation of drop.
One could just as easily push the check back out of the way, do the drop
regulation and then regulate back checks. Seems to me like setting the
drop to 3 mm is really the wrong way of putting it. In reality the
hammer should drop on a very slow test motion after letoff, fall onto
the repspring which is just barely strong enough to carry it (the
hammer) upwards with further depression of the key... only a very slight
rise mind you. Much like the rise in an aftertouch action. The 3 mm bit
comes rather automatically if this is done. Another point on point 4 on
the list... touch. Read the sentence and think about it and tell me this
makes any sense at all. Is this set of instructions trying to tell the
world that the Erard action should see the jack under the roller when
the key is barely in contact with the front punching ???.

So.... I'm going to start on a re-work of this whole thing.  Anyone with
insights into the patent action would be very kind indeed to share them
with me. There are a fair amount of the Patent Actions out there and
IMB they were fast as lightning and quite nice to play on when regulated
well. Might be a nice service to the piano tech world to put these set
of directions right... and get the confusing presently available ones to
rest where they belong.

Cheers
RicB