[CAUT] False beats Steinway B

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Sep 20 19:03:18 MDT 2008

Hi Jim

Sorry to be in late on this... been busy and wanted to read carefully
the 2nd article on false beats in the journal before answering.

    That's what was a bit weird; it  (pressing the pin with a
    screwdriver I presume) actually made the beats stronger and more
    pronounced. Keith said "wow, that's a loud beat!"

    Jim

This goes hand in hand with what I've been saying along... and most
definitely shoots major holes in the whole flagpolling pin idea. And
before anyone gets up in arms and points out that article number 2
<<confirms>> the flagpolling a effect a bridge pin can have let me
remind one and all that in article 1 Jim clearly states that his
experiments do NOT take into consideration the affect of the bridge and
bridge coupling to soundboard, nor the soundboard itself for that
matter.  His experiments in article 2 show only what  measurable of
string behavior for four bridge termination conditions... along with
some shorter information about front termination conditions.

None of this considers what a real life piano may produce in the face of
any of the controlled experiment conditions the string itself displays.
It is entirely possible for a false beating string to fail to produce an
audible or even measurable (from the perspective of soundboard sound
output).  This is easily confirmed by examining just about any 60 year
old beater.  At that age you can bet that every single bridge pin has
its hole elongated enough to do the job described in point two of Jims
last article. Yet despite the flagpolling condition only a minority
fraction of strings in such pianos actually produce an audible false
beat of the kind that responds in any fashion to the screwdriver
pressure test.

All this points clearly to the obvious fact that in real pianos quite a
bit more is involved in the end resultant false beat.  Things that lay
beyond the compound termination that is the bridge pin and bridge
surface in the path that starts with the string and ends with the
soundboards vibrations clearly come into play and it is only when
certain as yet undetermined combination of moments occur in concert as
it were that an audible false beat results.

At present I'm seeking funding from the University system here in Norway
for a more down to earth survey of false beat occurrence in real piano
for different bridge termination conditions. Informal studies have shown
clearly that there is no statistical correlation between the occurrence
of a classic false beat and any particular bridge pin condition.  The
only thing that has shown to have a clear significant relationship is
the addition of certain chemicals to the bridge at the bridge pin in
reductions of already occurring classic false beats.  This includes CA,
Epoxy and Lacquers. What the exact relationship is here is as far as I
can see not understood. It is to my mind of thinking unwarranted to jump
to the conclusion that this simply <<tightens>> a loose bridge pin since
no correlation between loose bridge pins and occurring false beats in
real pianos can be found to begin with.

As to your B.... have you tried muting off the entire back scale to see
if the false beating is quieted ?

Cheers
RicB