[CAUT] Touchweight question

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Sep 23 17:51:22 MDT 2008

All,

I have an action (Hornung and Moller 1972) that has one or two leads in the very back of the key and no lead in the front. It has wippen helper springs. DW is around 65 - 70 and UW is around  36 - 40 or so. (Friction seems to be ok, but BW is 50 - 55!!)

I don't know why the springs were adjusted for this weight, and I can adjust the springs to achieve a good weight (50-20 or so) but my question is a very basic one; Why would you use springs instead of leads to touchweight the action? What does this do to the MOI? Or, at the very least what is the difference in feel between a "spring" vs. "lead" touchweighted action? And, why do one over the other?

Fred, Ric, enlighten me!

Jim Busby

P.s. I experimented and put weights in about 8 keys and a normal leading pattern makes it work...normal.