[CAUT] Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 13:16:25 MDT 2008

I wanted to see if I could improve my ability to tune a Steinway D and
a Bosendorfer Imperial together. The Steinway has relatively high
inharmonicity and the Bosendorfer has very, very low inharmonicity.
Some of you will be familiar with the problem.

I have uploaded an audio file to:

http://www.kentswafford.com/mp3/d_dorf.mp3

The recording attempts to show that each piano is well-tuned with
itself and that the pianos also are tuned together. The Steinway plays
first and should be on the right. The pianos are side by side. There
are a number of bad unisons in the high treble, especially on the
Bosendorfer. You are welcome to come try to tune them yourself.

In the recording you hear:

Steinway arpeggios
Bosendorfer arpeggios
Bosendorfer chord of nature progression
Steinway chord of nature progression
Chromatic scale played both on both pianos together

I think the results are good. How I did this may surprise a few...

Later.

Kent Swafford