[CAUT] Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 07:38:39 MDT 2008

Your way is perfectly good.

It seems to me that the choice of which notes of the chord of nature
to use might be affected by our stretch  preferences for the high
treble. You leave out the note coincident at its 2nd partial, which
would suggest you might want a bit more stretch than might be
suggested by the presence of the C6 when checking C7. Absolutely. The
C6, after all, would tend to suggest a lower C7.

My normal use of the chord of nature stops at the 6th partial and is
the result of using notes that fit easily under the hands at the
keyboard:

To check C7: Left hand F4, G#4(Ab4), C5, F5; right hand C6 and C7.

Others advocate going farther -- 7th, 8th, 9th. I myself can't see
using the 7th since it is so far removed from the equal tempered
scale. But I use the 5th which is also relatively far removed. A case
could be made for using neither the 3rd nor the 7th.

Of particular use (although it doesn't fit under the hands so well)
might be a construction of 8th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd which would use:

To check C7: left hand C4, F4, C5; right hand F5 and C6; sustain chord
with damper pedal and play C7.

Kent