[CAUT] Can't hear the forest for the trees

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Aug 15 14:07:57 MDT 2009

At 07:26 AM 8/15/2009, Bill wrote:
>What is the chance the problem would be solved by moving the hammer
>of the offending note a mm or so in or out, to change the place
>where it hits the string?  Any other suggestions?

I think that the chances of this working are not good.

I think that a new bass string might help, but maybe some of the
sound might be in the agraffe. Possibly you could try lowering the
pitch a good deal (like a fifth or so) and taking a string hook, and
pulling the string around the hole in the agraffe some, maybe
smoothing over the edges of a notch the string has carved for itself
over time.

It's something you could try (only on the worst offending string) to
see if it helps, probably without breaking the string. If the
offending overtone is unchanged, then maybe you could replace only
the one string, to see if that works, before ordering a whole set.

Have you tried twisting one of the bad strings? Maybe the wraps are
getting loose.

What one wouldn't want to happen would be to replace the whole set,
and then find that the problem was the same or even worse. Working on
one note till it was better would prevent this.

Susan Kline