[CAUT] CAF

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 18 08:27:57 MDT 2009

Hi Susan,
Even if you did the rebuild, I wouldn't see it as your fault. I see it a lot around here. Both my mentors used to tell me that in the past, when you ordered parts from Steinway, you simply gave them the serial number of the piano, and the parts department would send out the proper parts for that instrument. I suspect technicians just trusted that.  I've seen it over and over again in Steinways rebuilt before the parts department started teaching what to do.  Ran into one at a small college yesterday, and when I touched the key, I knew what it was.  The shanks lay on the rest cushions to get enough blow distance, so you run into hammertails catching the backchecks, and the jacks have to be regulated forward to meet the knuckle, so they jam into the jack window cushions before the key hits the front rail punching.  The wippen/key does not "catch" or "cradle" the hammer/shank on its way down, it just drops with a thud, and the whole thing is just way too heavy.  If you've got a rebuild with all hornbeam parts, there's a high likelihood that this is what's in there.

The whole thing is correctable by ordering the pre-84 reps for the shanks, then you can recycle the hamburg wips on a rebuild with either NYI or Hamburg shanks.
Jeff