[CAUT] Key straightening; was Key Spacing: The Distal End

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Aug 23 11:35:57 MDT 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 11:56 AM, G Cousins wrote:

> Yes, bows are dry heated to retain shape. Various woods require
> various timings. (duh)
> Most modern bow mfg. is in well controlled kilns. Traditional
> Brazilwood & Pernambuco woods have a substantially different bend
> differential time.

	A couple thoughts about bow wood (woods used for violin family bows):
these are very high in resin and oils, far different in content and
behavior from pine or maple. They certainly glue much differently. I
suspect they respond much differently to heat, and that it is the
resins that are particularly important in retaining shape. Methods
pertaining to these woods would probably not be useful for piano keys
or hammershanks. Experience shows that dry heat alone is limited in
its effect when we want to bend and twist these items.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu