[CAUT] CAF

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 24 11:17:52 MDT 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Mark Cramer wrote:

> IME, once escapement is synchronized via the jack, if the jack is
> out of
> line, it indicates an error with one of my other a/t adjustments...
> i.e.
> drop a bit wide, lever a bit low, etc. and I will need to go back
> and find
> it. So, jack position can be a very precise after-touch diagnostic
> as well..
> that is if we don't fudge it by merely lining it up to the core. ;>)

	With respect to Eric S's "final adjustment," I think he is on the
right track in the sense of looking for a very fine and crisp feel of
the jack and drop being simultaneous. But I don't think that adjusting
the jack position (relative to the knuckle) is the right way to get
there. I prefer to diagnose and decide what is wrong. Could be only
one of three things: letoff, drop, or jack position. So figure out
which one, and correct that.
	And I have a somewhat different method of checking. Eric does it by
pressing the key down. I prefer to take the key out of the picture. I
get a more sensitive feel by simply using a finger to lift the wippen,
positioned under the lever a little forward of the jack. Raise until
you hit the resistance of the rep spring. Ideally, when you push
through against that resistance, the jack just immediately begins to
move. If it is wrong, the jack movement will either be delayed a bit,
in which case the jack will have risen above the level of the of the
rep lever before moving; or the jack will move first, in which case
you will have felt a little bump before the big bump (jack tender
contacting the button before the rep hits the drop screw).
	It kind of goes along with lightly tripping each jack to check for
alignment of the rep top with the top of the jack. A similarly very
sensitive touch is needed, and it can go pretty fast if you have done
good work. If not, it will tell you real fast that you haven't, and
maybe you'll decide to go through and advance or retard all the drop
adjustments a tad, as an example, then re-check.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu