[CAUT] Breaking percentage of piano wire WAS: Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 6 17:30:49 MST 2009

I recently had to restring a piano with very long speaking lenghts. With the pscale program I got in the 80% to 85% and that got me really scared.

But then I found in "A treatise on the Art of Pianoforte Construction" from Samuel Wolfenden a chart of probable actual breaking strain in pounds. And if I compared my tension, I was way below what Pscale said...

Here's a few numbers. Now the author is using europeen gauges so I'll give the diameter in mm. (It's on page 28-29)

.800mm 275lbs

.825     291

.850     306

.875     321

.900     332

.925     348

.950     366

.975     374

1.000   384

1.025   401

1.050   410

1.075   425

1.125   457

1.175   489

and it goes up like this. Now do these figure make sense to you experts out there or are these in the ball park?

So, even if my piano was scary, nothing broke so far, but I can see that this won't be a good thing for the poor bridge that will have to try and survive all this tension.

Marcel Carey

Sherbrooke, QC