[CAUT] Stringing equations and friction

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Dec 7 02:49:21 MST 2009

Hi Greg

Aside from the point you are making about friction and bearing points...
a C88 at 63 mm is going to just break period. I cant imagine any scale
was designed this way, unless they had some kind of string material
nobody knows about today... :)  I can only imagine there must have been
some error in placement of something that caused this condition when
building the thing.  We see regularly that all instruments...even those
purported to having the most consistent assembly methods vary pretty
significantly in this (and most other) regards.  We have two (three
years apart in production) new CF III's in town for example and C 88
varies by 3 mm on these two.

I dont think given a reasonably executed scale will experience undue
problems with string breakage to begin with... so I wouldn't consider
bearing point friction an issue in this regard.

Cheers
RicB