[CAUT] Sustain in modern grands: was S S model M

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Dec 9 08:05:41 MST 2009

Of course there are some pianos that have 67 dampers where they should have 70 or so.  I have a couple of Bs here where E68 does ring out enough that I get complaints about it.  I can demonstrate what the problem is to the pianists by using my finger as a damper but knowing what causes the problem doesn't make it go away.  To me that is not a matter of too much sustain but rather too few dampers.

A design problem?  Horrors!

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu