[CAUT] CAUT Digest, Vol 14, Issue 48

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 08:52:16 MST 2009

> On Dec 8, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Paul Milesi wrote:
>

>> I?m wondering what sorts of pianos other schools have in teaching
>> studios for theory/comp, flute, trombone, choir director, and,
>> particularly, voice.  Are they verticals or grands?  How frequently
>> tuned?  Better or worse shape than practice rooms?

San Francisco State University

Piano faculty - tuned every 4 weeks
studio 1 - 2 Steinway B's , newly rebuilt
studio 2 - 2 Steinway B's, rebuilt actions, slated for restringing as
soon as time and budget is available
studio 3 - 1 Steinway B, recently rebuilt, 1 Steinway M recently rebuilt
(designated for prepared piano)
Other faculty do not have assigned studios and use whatever rooms are
available.

Rehearsal rooms and classrooms tuned every 6-8 weeks or as necessary
("recently" means within the last 5 years)
Also available for practice when not occupied.
Choir rehearsal room - Yamaha C-7 fairly new
Orchestra rehearsal room - Steinway D newly rebuilt, Baldwin F rebuilt
about 7 years ago (designated for prepared piano)
154 Misc. rehearsal room and classroom - Mason & Hamlin BB (newly
rebuilt0, Steinway M (old and trashed out - prepared piano)
155 Misc. rehearsal room  - Yamaha C-2 (loaner - new), Kawai 500
(recently rebuilt)
156 Misc. rehearsal room  - 2 Baldwin R's - poor condition
157 Misc. rehearsal room  - Yamaha GC-1 - loaner (new)
Chamber music rehearsal room - Yamaha P-22, good condition (sparsely
used - other rooms used for rehearsal with piano)
145 Misc. rehearsal room and class room - Steinert 7" - Recently rebuilt
136 Misc. rehearsal room and classroom - Baldwin R, poor condition
(designated for prepared piano)
147 Classroom - Steinway L, recently restrung action so-so
2  Practice rooms (piano majors) - Steinway M, one recently rebuilt, the
other currently undergoing restringing and action reconditioning
Remaining practice rooms - Yamaha P-22s, 2 to 12 years old, all in good
condition (all the older ones were recently removed from a group piano
room where they mostly collected dust for years and assigned to practice
rooms)
Music Education classroom - old Everett upright, tuned 2x per year.
Faculty offices - old Baldwin, Everett and Wurlitzer uprights plus 2
Kohler & Campbell SKV-48 (which fell apart after about 4 years of
practice room use - one former chair's folly)  - tuned 2x per year. One
Yamaha P-22 (piano faculty) good condition, tuned every 8 weeks.
About 8 Baldwin, Everett and Wurlitzer uprights held as reserve in
various locations- not regularly maintained.

Israel Stein