[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Dec 11 14:21:39 MST 2009

Well, this is a special, controlled case. I assume the heat was turned
down late in the evening, and the piano slowly cooled 10 degrees over
a period of ten hours or so. This is different from being exposed to
stage lights and other "during the day" events, as well as
inconsistent HVAC systems. I thought it was interesting as a predictor
for questions like "What if I leave my piano in my unheated house over
the winter?" and the like.
	I also think that my experience has tended to show that once a piano
has stabilized at a new temperature, it will be pretty much in tune
with itself. What happens in the meantime is another story - if hot or
cold air are blowing on it, or lights or sun shining on it, or any
number of other causes of heat change, things can go pretty haywire.
Especially the difference between wrapped and unwrapped strings.
	Personally, I haven't had a problem tuning in the recital hall in the
morning (which is a good thing, since that's when I can schedule it).
The piano sounds fine that evening, and will hold well for at least a
few days. Maybe my conditions are different from what yours were.
Fred
On Dec 11, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> Sorry, I read about half of it the first time, thought I knew what
> you were going to say, and replied.  I didn't experience the piano
> tuning moving consistently as you describe.
> Jeff
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Sturm" <fssturm at unm.edu>

Regards,
Fred Sturm