[CAUT] fundamental vs partials, was. Re: lowest note on Imp. Bosey

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Tue Dec 15 09:23:03 MST 2009

Wim,

". . .A man in the chorus in which I sing told me that humans cannot
hear a pitch that low . . ."

There is a difference between hearing a Pitch and hearing a sound.
Generally speaking, our ears and brains can sense vibrations as pitch
down to around 20hz.  Below that, it sounds like a vibration, pulse,
beat, rattle, something like that.  The sound loses coherence, and our
brains divide the pulses into individual noises rather than one sound
identifiable as a tone.

When you hear 7 beats a second in tuning a temperament, it sounds like
beats.  If you keep going up with thirds into the treble, the very fast
beats can start to sound like a pitch or low tone.  This is referred to
a resultant tone, and is the same affect that pipe organ makers use to
create the lowest octave (usually down to 16Hz C).

The church I used to attend in San Diego had an excellent organ, and you
could hear and feel the low 16 Hz C very strongly, and somehow it seemed
in tune with the upper partials, reinforcing the sound without actually
sounding like a pitch.

Here's an interesting little tidbit: A normal resting heartbeat of 60
beats per minute would be a 'C' pitch!  OK, OK, I know - a change of
just 5 beats per minute throws the pitch way off.  And if we want to
take inharmonicity into effect and match the stretch of a piano tuning,
our heartbeat should really be closer to 55 bpm :-)

Merry Christmas

Don Mannino
  _____