[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Dec 16 18:21:08 MST 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:
>But I think my
> earlier assessment was correct: the D/C produced heat was not a
> significant factor.

I know of one instance where it is most certainly a
significant factor. A church with four pianos. A C-6 Yamaha,
and 3 P22s. The grand and two of the verticals with
Dampp-Chasers, and covered. The grand isn't much problem. When
I uncover it, it takes five or ten minutes or so to settle
down while I strip mute and set up. Even so, I have to
backtrack over the temperament probably three times before it
quits drifting. The rest of the tuning goes well. The uprights
are different. When I pull the cover off and open the lid, a
startling amount of warm moist air pours out the top. I have
to get them uncovered and opened up 15-20 minutes before I
start to tune or I'll be chasing that time during the process.
After the strings cool to nominally room temperature, they are
very close to on pitch and tune easily and quickly. I worried
about the atmosphere under those covers, but neither piano has
showed any indication of discomfort in close to five years
now, so it doesn't seem to be a problem. I typically tune the
uncovered upright first, going to uncover and open one of the
others half way through the tuning, and again for the next
one, and again. The unregulated piano is always wildly off
pitch from humidity effects, the others only very slightly
until the strings cool.

Ron N