[CAUT] harpsichord (was Re: temperature and pitch)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 16 18:33:20 MST 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 5:32 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Immediate and short term pitch change is temperature related.
> Humidity changes take much longer.

	Absolutely correct. Harpsichords move faster and farther, but the
same principles apply.
	I am going to describe a bit of recent harpsichord experience I had
this week, partly to illustrate this point, but also for practical
purposes for those without much experience. The first experience is
essentially just about temperature.
	The instrument was provided by the presenter. It had been tuned the
night before for a concert in Santa Fe. I am safe in assuming a
competent tuning at pitch, at a temp around 70F. It was driven next
day to Albuquerque, which means probably at least 1.5 hours in the
van. Small van with the drivers seat and cargo area undivided, so heat
moved freely, but the back probably got colder. I was there when it
was unloaded. I felt the case, and guessed about 50F. When it was set
up, I checked pitch. Quite sharp, about 8 cents for steel (5-11
range), but 25 - 50 for the bass (brass). WILD octaves. I did not get
out the tuning hammer. Instead I got a clean cloth and began rubbing
the strings vigorously, for frictional heat. After five minutes or so,
pitch was fairly close, still a bit sharp, so I went at it again.
Boring work, but much less frustrating that tuning a moving target. It
ended up reasonably stable at pitch. (I told them it should be on
location at least 2 hours, but the best I got was that they did move
it in a heated van as I suggested. Time was short, so you do what you
can do. I had 45 minutes, and spent 10 of it rubbing strings).
	The second experience is more complex, since it has both temp and RH
involved, and longer time. My instrument this time, moved from my
house at about 65F and 40% to their rehearsal space at 72F/20% at 9
am. It was at pitch at home, and still at pitch when set up. I tuned
it. 8 hours later, 5 pm, I tuned it again for the second rehearsal. I
found it an average 10 cents flat, to 20 cents in the bass (brass
strings). I deduced a combination of higher temp and drying out. I
tuned it.
	16 hours later, 9 am next day, I loaded it out to take it to the
performance space for the next four days. Now temp was 67F, RH still
about 20% (I didn't wait around for my hygrometer to stabilize its
reading fully, but RH hadn't changed a lot). I checked the tuning
before packing it up. Steel strings were right around pitch, but brass
were 10-15 cents sharp. I deduce that the temp drop caused the rise in
pitch (what else could have?) and in the steel strings, temp induced
rise cancelled going flat due to dry. But in the brass strings, the
temp change was a stronger effect. I loaded it into the performance
space, at 72F/10%. 8 hours later, 5 pm, I found temp had risen to 76F.
Pitch was a fairly even 10-12 cents flat, including those brass
strings that had been sharp earlier (and that I hadn't touched).
	I've been doing this for 30 years (15 of those I have dealt with a
similar Messiah schedule), and based on my experience, I will see it
5-8 cents flat in 24 hours, then within a very few cents flat for each
of the next three days. Then I'll move it home and it will go 25 cents
sharp over a few days (but I won't be monitoring it, so I won't notice
until the next time I have occasion to rent it).
	Some of this is temperature, some is RH. I can literally see the RH
effect in the expanding crack at the treble end of the SB (it's a very
rare harpsichord that doesn't have at least one). I am going to guess
that over half is RH, gradually over the course of hours and days. The
temperature effect, though, is nearly instantaneous, as the first
story showed. And it is exaggerated on the brass strings.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu