[CAUT] 5 Browns - D for sale

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Mar 3 14:47:31 PST 2009

Jim,

Does that mean all the action, keys,keytops, bushings, dampers and damper
actions, soundboard, bridges, etc, is original???  Just restringing means
a lot more work involved!  I might be interested if all has been rebuilt.,
otherwise .....it's questionable, but probably a great potential great
instrument.  Got any pics?

Thanks
Paul

Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
03/03/2009 04:15 PM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

"caut at ptg.org" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] 5 Browns - D for sale

All,

I just got this from the father of the “5 Browns”. If you aren’t familiar
with them they are two brothers and three sisters who play concerts around
the world. I won’t comment on what is said below, (He just asked me to
post it, and I’ve never seen the piano) but here it is…

<<< Keith Brown here, father of The 5 Browns, the Steinway artists who all
went to Juilliard and now record for Sony and tour world wide together.
With the last of the five about to get married and all of them living on
their own now with their own smaller Steinways, we have reluctantly
decided to sell our beloved Model D that we have had in our home since
2001. This is a VERY special piano, even when compared to other Ds and
would make a superb acquisition for any university or concert hall given
its AMAZING sound, even in the picky opinions of our five
concert/recording artists! Here's the rundown:

The piano was picked out specially at the Steinway factory when new in
1939 by world famous concert artist, Ignacy Paderewski, for his upcoming
Madison Square Garden Concert, but he had a stroke and never performed the
concert, dying a year or two later.

The piano was purchased by a music loving family associated with the
Garden and passed down two generations. Our family purchased it from their
grandson who played it regularly but sadly no longer had space to continue
to keep it.

Most concert grand Steinways from the Prewar "Golden Era" have been beat
up and used up in concert halls across the country and have long since
been rebuilt. Unfortunately, those rebuilt pianos turn out to be only as
good as the rebuilder, many of whom just make it look pretty again (often
to make a quick buck on the resale), but the piano is never as good as it
was when it left the factory, having been hand assembled by some of the
greatest craftsmen in the world, and at a time when "hand built" and
"quality" had a completely different meaning than they do today. Those
pianos lose that amazing ring and special tone that the ones built in the
Golden Era were universally known for.

For this reason, I looked far and wide for several years for a concert
grand that had been used in a home rather than a concert hall, and one
which had not been rebuilt or restored, nor requiring such. I know, a
needle in what is a rather rare haystack in the first place, a haystack of
Steinway Ds!

You can only guess my excitement when I found this special piano, Serial #
295063, in 100% original condition, even down to the finish, showing only
slight age. The only thing we changed after purchasing the piano was to
replace the original strings for a set of new Steinway strings to continue
to give it that powerful sustaining ring and tone that it had when it was
new so that when our five kids returned from Juilliard for the summers,
they would be in heaven while practicing in the beautiful mountain canyon
where we live. It still has its original hammers, ivory keys, and flawless
soundboard, and plays and sounds like a brand new $107,000 new D only
dreams of. Our price is less than half that of new at a reasonable
$45,000.

Obviously, we are reluctant to let this piano go, but since Lisa only
plays a little and I not at all, we decided it needs to go somewhere where
it can fulfill the measure of its creation. Unfortunately, it's just too
big and expensive for our 5 newlywed children, and we are just average
people financially, without the ability to hold it for them. It's sad
because where could we possibly find another like this? It's truly a rare
find and absolutely irreplaceable. So who's the lucky one?! You can reach
me at 801-232-095 if you have questions. Thanks. Keith Brown >>>

Jim