[CAUT] SD10 "Elephant graveyard"?

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Mar 3 18:54:30 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----

> What do you do with your 9' pianos after they've served their purpose? We
> have a 1975 SD10 that isn't a bad piano, has a Wapin bridge, OK sound.
> But as we bring in new pianos to the concert hall the older ones get
> pushed down the pecking order into classrooms, etc. Now we don't have any
> classrooms that will fit a 9' and need to surplus one out.
>
> Options; (?)
> 1.       Surplus sale, eBay, etc.
> 2.       Find a local school, etc.
> 3.       ????????????

Here at UNLV there are two options for an old piano.  The first is that we
simply notify the property control people.  They move it to the surplus
warehouse where will it will either go up for the highest bidder or have a
set price first come-first served.  The revenue disappears into the
university's budget black hole and is never seen again.

The more preferable option is to use it as a trade in.  Generally we won't
get what it's worth, maybe 50 cents on the dollar of it's honest value, but
at least we benefit.  The amount can be credited to receive new pianos
either discounted or possible outright free.  A couple years ago we
purchased a number of new Kawais, (three SKs and two K-5s).  Before the deal
was completely sealed I proposed some trade-ins to the dealer.  I ended up
getting rid of two crappie Hamiltons, two P-22s with broken parts and
missing bass strings, two G-3s beat to hell and missing wheels, and two worn
out KG-2s, absolute dilapidated JUNK.  In exchange I got us two additional
new K-5s for nothing.   Next time we probably won't do so well, especially
after they figured out what crap I dumped on them, (that'll teach em' not to
make deals sight unseen), but it's better then sending the old pianos off to
surplus and getting nothing.  Check with your dept. chair or dean and see if
this is an option.  You might have to store old pianos for awhile until the
time when you purchase a few new ones, it's not likely a dealer is going to
be excited to take them off your hands unless you at least buy SOMETHING in
the same deal.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV