[CAUT] Tunic OnlyPure Software

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Mar 4 12:30:45 PST 2009

Hi Linda

I know you're smart enough to pretty much have the basic idea figured
out already. But for the sake of clarity :

There are really only two options here once one first admits to having
to take into account an instruments inharmonicity.  Either one
pre-samples and estimates the inharmonicity of the instrument... or one
catches it on the fly like Verituner. Either way, the rest is simply
imposing whatever tuning priorities you have chosen onto that
inharmonicity. Since Bernard clearly takes into account individual
instrument inharmonicity, and since he likewise clearly does not do this
as RCT, Tunelab, and SAT does (ie pre-sampling)  he's left with doing it
on the fly.  Just exactly WHAT he imposes on the instruments
inharmonicity should be fairly clear to all, since the basic subject
matter has been tossed around here and on pianotech for nearly 10 years
now. The only thing really in doubt is what particular fudge factors he
uses.

As long as the software is glitch free... its no doubt a fine
implementation and worth every penny if you like such tools.  A couple
years back he was offering some kind of aural license to tune P-12ths
I'm sure you all remember..... That along with his published work on the
matter and other material published both before, parallel and after
should be enough for anyone to get the picture.

Cheers
RicB

    While you are posting here on this list Bernard, why don´t you give
    more information about your product and how it works. It would stop
    us from guessing. I am insterested in buying it just  mainly because
    I have an iphone and it would be nice to have a tuning  program on
    the device, but I need to know more about it.

    What does it do? Is it listening to multipartials like the
    Verituner  or only one at a time like Tune-lab?  To start with..

    hälsningar,

    Linda Stråhle