[CAUT] String Leveling question

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Mar 8 15:52:11 PDT 2009

Dear Listees,
A few questions have been prompted by my very recent acquisition of a
tool many of you have probably owned for some time:  Joe Goss's brass
String Level.  I'm quite enamored of it and it will, at some point,
probably get me into as much trouble as did Tom Lowell's gauge.  I
apologize if I'm overlooking anything obvious, or if there was a
recent discussion of this that I'm unaware of.

- What, ideally, should bi- and tri-cord level be parallel
to?  keybed? stretcher? plate?  top of agraffe, (if not rounded, a la
Bechstein)?
- How often do you come across ideal?
- How many times (at which points) do strings get leveled after stringing?

Thanks.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY