[CAUT] Nossman Rebuilds.

Fortenberry, Kevin kevin.fortenberry at ttu.edu
Mon Mar 9 09:46:07 PDT 2009

To all,

This is my first entry to the caut list.  I am the new tech at Texas Tech University.  Although  this may be a bit delayed,  I just want to put my 2 cents worth in on the Nossman-ized pianos. In a nutshell: they are INCREDIBLE!  A large number of us from the TSA-PTG Seminar in Richardson a couple of years ago took tour to SMU and compared the Nossman Steinway D with a regular D side by side. I do not remember one negative comment about the Nossman, but there was an incredible amount of Ooo ing and AAhhhing, and WOWS  and double WOWS.  Everyone needs to see and play one of these pianos to experience it for themselves.  One of my favorite features is the elimination of the tri-chords in the bass.  Every time I tune the bass (on the Smith piano)one of the 2 D s in our recital hall here, my mind goes back to that "Nossman" and I think "If only this piano could be Nossmanized".  The proof is in the pudding-give one of them a listen.

Also,  One of our D s was rebuilt by Mohlberg just outside Austin, and it is also a wonderful piano. It is a dream to tune (except of course those pesky tri-chords in the bass.) It's as great of a traditional  rebuild as any I have seen or played.  If a school, etc. cannot afford a specialty rebuild, or wants a traditional rebuild, I HIGHLY recommend Mohlberg and Associates.