[CAUT] VSProfelt vs alcohol/water/softener vs steam

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Mar 12 15:40:17 PDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 10:36 AM, Dan Reed wrote:

> Fred, Thanks for researching this.I'm very interested in using steam
> for puffing up compacted felt, and am looking forward to your
> technique. How to keep the glue contact surface intact in the key
> bushings is my question.
>
> Dan Reed
> Dallas, Tx

	It's a matter of timing, of how long you apply the steam. If you are
removing bushings, you need quite a few seconds, maybe even a minute
or so, to loosen the glue joint enough so the bushings will come out
easily. Bushings and the glue that was used do vary, so you do need to
pay attention. But I have found that a fairly rapid steaming as I
described, where the bushings get one second or so of steam, possibly
repeated once, does not loosen the glue joint enough to make the
bushing loose. Most of the time, the felt swells and the glue joint
isn't affected at all. And following with the key bushing iron, again
paying attention to time (less than one second per bushing, possibly
repeated), this will tend to reset the glue if it has become loosened
a bit (kind of like ironing veneer to get it to restick where it has
bubbled up).
	I iron all my rebushing jobs. Occasionally I'll have a bushing that
wasn't quite glued tightly - usually because I let the glue get too
cold before inserting the felt and the caul. I find that the iron will
melt the glue and set the joint adequately. But you don't want too
high a heat, or too long a time. Or you will melt the glue enough to
pull it into the felt.
	It's not as touchy as the description makes it sound. Just common
sense. Like ironing clothes, where you can scorch the fabric if you
have the iron set too hot, or you don't keep it moving. But it's not
real hard to iron clothes successfully. There is plenty of leeway if
you are paying attention.
	The best way to learn this technique, and not be worried about the
result, is to try it next time you have a rebushing job. Just try it
on a section of bushings, running the steam and following with the
iron. I think you'll find that there isn't a lot to worry about.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu