[CAUT] STEAM! STEAM! STEAM!!!

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Mar 13 12:41:53 PDT 2009

OK, what's the theory here?  When knuckles need to be bolstered or the leather tightened - what was the cause?  Did the core felt get too packed, or did the leather stretch?  If the leather stretched, the bolstered knuckle will be larger changing the action ratio some.  If the felt packed down and you make the leather shorter the knuckle will be smaller and also change the action ratio.  Since in many cases we didn't see the knuckles when new and even if we did there's probably zero chance that we'll remember how large the knuckles were originally.  Which repair would keep the action ratio the same?

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>