[CAUT] Worn whippen cushions / VS Profelt

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Mar 15 10:29:20 PDT 2009

At 12:17 PM 3/15/2009, Fred wrote:

>         But lubrication is more important: prevention rather than cure. For
>me that means teflon powder on felt, McLube on metal (and polished
>metal without corrosion or burrs).

Since we're dwelling in minutia, I recall a conversation I had some
years ago with a tech person at McLube, who said that adherence of
the product to the applied surface was enhanced if surface was NOT
highly polished.  DISCLAIMER: It may have been the only 1708 (grey)
Mclube that he was referencing,  At one point I was more familiar
with the composition of each than I am able to recall now.  Clearly,
we're talking subtle here, without burrs and crud.

In any case, I need to go back a few weeks and look at the
explanation of how VS works.  If you assume that, with either the
whippen cushions OR the let-off button punchings, the dimpling is
simply compression, then, if VS restores the fiber dimension and
density of surrounding material, it would seem to have legitimately
accomplished its goal. Then again, if there is, in fact, fibre
destruction, it would seem that some aspect of the affected area
would have to be  different from the surrounding material.

I wouldn't have even gotten involved in this, but for my momentary
misperception that Chris S was talking to me:

>you don't need to sand, retaining all material and removing the indentation
>with the liquid swell is sufficient and allows the material to last longer.
>Skol
>Chris Solliday

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY