[CAUT] VSProfelt vs alcohol/water/softener vs steam

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Mar 16 11:26:39 PDT 2009

Thanks Chris. That's kind of what I thought.\

Jim

: Re: [CAUT] VSProfelt vs alcohol/water/softener vs steam

Hey Jim,
I remember many many years ago Willis Snyder ringing the bell on silicone
for keybushings. The fear being that it would travel down the pins and the
pins would walk out. I used for many years the naptha/silicone solution that
several manufacturers recommended and supplied, and have never seen a
problem with this type of thing. Never ever. Some keyboards got multiple and
liberal doses and I have observed them for over 20 years. I realize that
this is purely anecdotal evidence. The amount of silicone in VSP is minute
compared to that old solution of naptha and pure oil.
I certainly wouldn't want to compound a finish with it or contaminate a
pinblock, but for action work... The other fear was that if you use silicone
for action centers you would contaminate the birdseye and the pin would not
hold in there, or that if you had to replace the bushing the glue would not
hold. While I have some questionable experience and feeling about the former
the latter has never been a problem for me.
I agree with Fred there's alot of rumor out there and very little science.

Chris

Chris,

Should we be concerned with this as far as "posting" the ingredients. I
mean, I've heard horror stories of silicon and tuning pins. Like maybe one
drop and the pin turns into a black hole or something...

Jim