[CAUT] Piano truck acoustics

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Mar 20 08:20:48 PDT 2009

Aren't they really spendy? Like $1,500 a set?

All our concert pianos are on trucks. One hall that seats 250 has a D, the
main recital hall, seating 750 has a D, Baldwin D and a Yamaha C-3, and
the Lied Center, seats 2,200 and has a D and a B.  The small hall has tile
floor, the middle one is on wood stage, and the Lied is one of those
multipurpose black rubbery floors.  How much projection might be lost on
the tile floor? Rubbery floor?  I imagine the wood stage floor helps
somewhat.  They get pushed around constantly and I doubt if I could talk
the stage hands into having brass casters.  The professors would all vote
for the casters...

Here I am,... stuck in the middle with you.

Paul

Dan Reed <pianoarts at tx.rr.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
03/20/2009 09:50 AM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Piano truck acoustics

Great observation....The trucks metal members and the rubber tires
flex, and damp energy from  two directions... energy from the musician,
and the reflected energy from the soundboard.

Dan Reed
Dallas, Tx