[CAUT] cupcake icing vs action parts

Greg Graham grahampianos at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 19:13:16 PDT 2009

Has anyone studied the long term effects of cupcake icing on steel and brass action parts, especially damper springs and center pins?  I'm assuming the icing is the standard vegetable shortening and sugar.

I found the dry, crusty remains of some sort of baked good with said icing in a school console piano. I'm wondering if all greasy parts need to be washed with naptha, or if the vanilla "lube" with sprinkles is harmless?

The surface solids have already been removed.  All that remains is some soaked-in grease on about 10 damper flanges and levers.  I'm just wondering if the springs will start breaking off and action centers will start freezing up.

Maybe I'll leave it as a long-term test specimen.

Greg Graham