[CAUT] hamburg steinway fallboard shadows

John Minor jminor at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 30 13:32:06 PDT 2009

We have a hamburg D with the non-hinged fallboard that casts annoying shadows on the keys with the current lighting setup in the performance hall. I'm considering replacing the original fallboard (with the curved top) with a NY fallboard with the hinged lip.  Unfortunately, the NY fallboard is in satin, and our hamburg is high polish. I suppose I could pay to have it done in high polish.

How about removing the hinged lip altogether and having the holes plugged and topcoated with enough lacquer to get a  high polish? Would the artists be annoyed by the missing hinged lip???

Any suggestions? (Improve the lighting!!!?)

John Minor
University of Illinois School of Music